Saturday, July 18, 2009

Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes

I've never made pancakes "from scratch" before, but I've seen this recipe popping up all over the place lately and decided to give it a try. I had everything on hand except for the buttermilk and fresh blueberries, so I picked those up for a total of $3, and we were ready to try something different.

Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes
from Martha Stewart Living, June 2009

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar, plus 2 t. for blueberries
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. milk
3 T. butter, melted and cooled
1 egg lightly beaten
2 c. blueberries
Extra butter for coating griddle
Maple syrup

Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.Whisk together buttermilk, milk, melted butter, and egg in medium bowl.Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and whisk together just until combined. (Lumps are ok!)Toss blueberries in a bowl with 2 t. sugar.Heat a griddle over medium heat. Melt butter over surface of griddle. (Repeat as necessary throughout the process.) Drop batter on griddle using a 1/4 c. measure each time. Add sugared blueberries to each pancake. Cook for about 3–4 minutes then carefully flip and cook for another 2–3 minutes.


So golden, with a little bit of a crisp to the outside....ohhhhh, you have to try these! Perfectly paired with a nice glass of OJ!
I don't know if I can go back to the "just add water" stuff.

11 comments:

  1. Those pancakes look so YUMMY!! Good job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is literally watering. It hasn't done that in a long time! I'll have to grab some buttermilk today and make pancakes......

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! I'm always looking for recipes that take cornmeal, because we bought an excess of corn kernels awhile back, and I'm slowly using it up by grinding it into cornmeal. LOVE blueberries! Looks good.

    I love the picture at the top...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good looking recipe. We might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. any way to make those allergy friendly? probably not...i'll just lick the screen and drool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I have to go to the store today, so plan to pick up these ingredients. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I know I have to make those too! And p.s. your wedding picture a few posts back is gorgeous. What a perfect capture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can NOT believe that you have never made pancakes from scratch...I thought you were a Utah Mormon, stay at home mom, grow your own cornmeal, hatch your own eggs, lady who can make everything from scratch. I think I am just speechless (I know it is a first...) Just kidding they look yummy. I am with Alicia, I'll just lick the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made these for dinner tonight. YUM! And super easy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally snagging this recipe for my birthday dinner tonight! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete