Monday, June 23, 2008

Lost Artform?




When is the last time you've skipped rocks? I have to admit, for me, it had been so long, I just about forgot what a wonderful pasttime it is. What a pleasant surprise that my kids loved it as much as I used to. On second thought, for Gunnar it wasn't since he throws rocks at and into everything whenever the chance presents itself...
We headed to the Bear River mid-morning one day with peanuts in the shell and plans to find some rocks to throw in the water. My Mom took the time with Savannah to show her the best rocks, the way her arm should arc and what stance to take for maximum skipping potential. (Nice form, Mom!) It was pretty sweet, and I'm sure she'll remember that Grandma taught her how. It was fun to see her face light up when she finally made it happen. I even got a few to skip myself! Sydney sat on the shore and plopped them in one after the other, and Gunnar was throwing them out as far as he could and betting me I couldn't beat him. We also shelled and ate peanuts and floated the shells down the current, like little boats. Good times.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't remember the last time I skipped rocks. It may have been at Grandpa's old house in OR when we caught crawdads. I'll have to try that again some time.

    Can you believe that I've never been to the Bear River?? They do all the fun stuff with you. ;P

    ReplyDelete