Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chimi Love

More than half of my lifetime ago, I worked as a waitress at a fabulous Mexican place called El Pollo Asado, owned by my BFF's Dad. I was only 14-15 years old. He also employed me at his Frozen Yogurt shop. It was a fun experience to work with my BFF and her big sister, who was another one of my constant friends during highschool. I learned how to make "fried" ice cream, had cole slaw fights in the walk-in fridge and learned the art of the perfect chimichanga.

I developed a deep love for those deep-fried morsels of goodness. In fact, my brother joked that my thighs began to resemble those chimichangas I loved so much. How could a teenage girl resist such goodness for dinner, when I had my 50% employee discount and needed to eat anyway (on a waitress' wage?!??) ?

So eventually, I figured out, I couldn't go on eating those on a regular basis, but my love for them has never abated.

Joyous was the day, shortly after moving to Sandy, that I was gifted with the Relief Society Cook-Off Cookbook for the year 2002. Contained in this book was an OVEN FRIED Chimichanga recipe, compliments of my dear neighbor Becky.

My friends, this is SO GOOD. Crispy with melty cheese inside, and dare I say, as satisfying as the deep-fried variety!

You have to try it!!

Oven Fried Chimichangas

  • 2/3 C. Picante Sauce (I've also used Mango Salsa with excellent results)
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
  • 1/2 C. chopped cilantro (optional)
  • 1 1/2 C. chopped cooked chicken (I use rotisserie)
  • 1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 6 flour tortillas
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Mix picante sauce/salsa, cumin, oregano, chicken, cheese, cilantro and onions. Place about 1/2 C. chicken mixture in center of each tortilla. Fold opposite sides over dilling. Roll up from bottom and place seam side down on baking sheet. Brush with butter. bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes until golden. Garnish with additional cheese and green onion. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

Spanish rice and/or black beans are excellent sides for this dish!

7 comments:

  1. yummm! i'll have to make these for the boys!! miss you guys so much...give my nieces and nephew a big hug and kiss from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Nat - I have ALL of those ingredients in my fridge and pantry today! Even the rotisserie! Guess what we're having for dinner??? Thanks for sharing this healthier version of YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you lady you ARE awesome. (I might take it as a compliment if my thighs looked as yummy as those chimi's...is that wrong?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Natalie, I think I'm in love with that pictures!! Those look so DELICIOUS and I'm printing off the recipe right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh sounds delish! I love your recipes keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound delicious! I'll be printing off the recipe. I'm gonna hunt up your pumpkin cookie recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete