As always, with independence, comes frustration. On both our parts.. She wants to do it all herself. She wants to undo her own diaper, take off her own shoes and socks, zip her own coat, put on her own shoes, etc. Usually I am fine with this, but when we are on a schedule it makes it a bit hard to get out the door on time....especially when I didn't plan for 5 minutes while she does what she needs to do. So much easier if she would just let me slip her shoes on! :p Silly Mommy, I know!
The other problem? I think she might be a notch higher on the OCD scale than "your average bear". For example; If she spills ANYTHING on her shirt while eating, even a drop of water, it MUST be changed at that moment. There's no talking logically to her about finishing the meal and then changing, it has to be right then. She puts up her arms and demands "OFF", then goes upstairs to get a clean shirt....which she usually puts on backwards...once in a while she does get it right though. When this all started I was smart enough to pick up a pack of white camis, that can be spilled on and bleached repeatedly. The next week I picked up another. Sometimes we go through 3 in a single meal, so now that we own 8, I can get through a whole day or 2 before I'm out and need to get them washed. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Here she is, so happy Mom took off her spilled-on cami, like she wanted.
Sydney's Top 10 OCD list:
- Close all doors to bedrooms and bathrooms
- Close all blinds
- Notice that Mom has opened all doors and blinds, close all again
- Flush all toilets
- Take all throw pillows off of couch and stack them on floor by fireplace
- Change shirt that water dripped on
- Put shoes on wrong feet, when Mom tries to help, scream "NO, my do!" and switch them to correct feet
- Change shirt again, just to keep 'em guessing
- Push dining room chair to counter top, climb up and rearrange all Mom's magnets on side of the fridge
- Notice Mom has opened all doors and blinds, close all again
For this one, STRONG-WILLED is an understatement... Heaven help us when she hits 13!