Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Foray into Black Friday

Wow, a whole world has been existing under my nose that I never knew about. The crazy, I'll get up at 3:30 am to get a deal, world. I am not one who would camp outside for a deal, but I was ready for a new experience, and was up to an early morning.

My friend Liz is more experienced and told me that we must have a game plan. She came over TG night and we mapped out the plan over ads and made our lists. One thing we knew, to be successful you have to work as a team. Someone to wait in the line, someone to grab the hot deals. We knew our chances of success depended on timing and sheer luck....and on most counts we were dang lucky! We were at WalMart at 4am and finished up our shopping marathon around 11am after visting about 8 stores.

I'm all set for Christmas AND both of my girl's birthdays now. I even scored super hot gongas on some items I'd already purchased for Christmas, that will be returned with old receipts next week. Cha-ching!

It did take a couple of nights but I'm caught back up on sleep with no napping required, and I think I might just attempt this next year too....if I find a willing partner, that is :)...


  1. Shopping on Black Friday as soon as a store opens is quite the experience, isn't it. This was my first year being exposed to this world as well. Its exhilarating and exhausting at the same time. What a rush to GRAB the last item off the shelf before someone else does. Think I saved about $120 that day alone. We ventured out until 3pm though. Sure was tired. My Mom and Dad and Brother and his wife have been going out at 4am for about 10 years now. They're addicted I think. If you need a buddy next year, I'm game. Derron hates it, so I had to go with my Mom Dad and Brother and Sister in Law. Glad you enjoyed the adventure.

  2. Did you hear about the WalMart employee that was trampled to death this year when the door was opened? I think I read about it on Kasey's blog, so you may have already been aware. Crazy! I went once and that was enough for me! You really do have to work in teams and have someone willing to stand in line, because for 20 minutes in the store, you spend an hour in line. I guess I'm more addicted to internet shopping because it is so easy to do. Saving a few bucks and fighting the crowds vs. not having to hassle? I'll take the latter! I guess that means I'm old and tired! :-) Glad you got Christmas and birthdays in one fell swoop -- I did, too, for Spencer and Mia, but online yesterday (cyberMonday)as opposed to in-store. Yay!

  3. I did hear about the man who was trampled opening the WalMart in Long Island. I think that is so sad. For the most part, people were nice and courteous here...and it helped that our WM is open 24 hrs, so we could just walk in and look for the pallet of stuff we were interested in then hang out there until 5am.
    I may have opted for online, but 2 of the major deals I was hoping for were in-store only. I got a $300 blu-ray player for $179, my new $60 MP3 player was only $29 at Office Depot and at Best Buy I scored a new $30 cell phone for $9! Since I was up anyway, after that I kept on going! :)

  4. Surely we went to more than 8 stores...It was atleast 20, but oh the deals!

  5. Sounds like fun. I went to the mall last year and it was sooooo not worth it. Glad you got what you wanted!!

  6. Fun stuff. Glad you got such great deals. We went out all night too but we weren't fighting for deals we were simple playing and buying a few items. The outlets and the mall are not the deal spots really.