Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year's Eve Ham and Potato Chowder


OK, I apologize to those who really don't care about my recipes, as this is turning into a bit of a recipe blog lately. However, my sister requested that I post another one of my traditional soups.

This one is called "New Year's Eve Chowder" because I use the excess of our Christmas Ham in it, and with them being only a week apart... It works really well to cube what I will need for ths soup Christmas night as I am cleaning up dinner, and put in in the freezer (longer shelf life that way), then the remaining goes into the fridge to be enjoyed with the other leftovers. I have been doing this recipe for about 5-6 years. So easy and so satisfying. If you're doing this on New Year's Eve like we do, don't forget the cheesecake and sparkling cider for dessert!

New Year's Eve Ham and Potato Chowder

2 Tbsp Oil
2-3 cups Cubed Ham
1 cup Chopped Onion
2 cups Water
2 medium Potatos, cut in ½-inch cubes
2 packages McCormick® Original Country Gravy Mix
4 cups Milk
1 can Whole Kernel Corn
2 Bay Leaves

Instructions: Heat oil in large pan on medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add water and potato cubes; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Mix Gravy Mix and milk. Add gravy mixture and remaining ingredients to saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove bay leaves before serving.

*If the consistancy is too thick for your liking, you can add milk until it is more your style! It doesn't mess with the flavor at all because the seasoning is pretty robust.

3 comments:

  1. I have all the ingredients - yeah!

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recipes... keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds yummy. By the way, I tried your pumpkin cookie recipe and it was delish!

    ReplyDelete